Types of concrete slabs and their benefits
Ribbed Concrete Slab: Light or medium is not appropriate for live loads like One Way or Two Way Concrete Slab. On the other hand, the ribbed slab is not recommended for over and above one-way or two-way slab. While going to design this type of slab, the rhythm of T-beam should be developed uniformly. Solids or hollow tiles are used to fill the central part of the rib. When hollow tiles are used for filling, it is described as a hollow slab. In various situations, the solid ribbed slab is created.
1. Dead loads are low in the slab, since the weight is light.
2. Good thermal insulation times are accomplished.
3. It is a strong sound-insulator.
4. It is a superior fire-insulator.
5. Less construction material is required as compared to other slabs.
6. Construction cost is reasonably ignorable.
7. Set up of electrical, plumbing and other services can be done easily.
1. This slab can’t withstand heavy load.
2. If the length of the span is large, then the cost of this slab will be increased.
3. Trained work force is required.
R.B Slab: These types of slabs are very cost-effective and hence they are found in various places. Here, half of the weight of the slab is R.C.C and other half carries brick weight. Usually, a series of R.C.C. ribs are formed and the bricks are utilized to fill the vacant places. However, because of the negative motions developed in the slab, the necessary reinforcement should be set up perfectly.
1. Less concrete is required as about 50% of bricks are applied.
2. Due to the utilization of complete brick, the cement and sand consumption are 30% to 40%.
3. The cost is reduced by 25% as compared to the R.C.C. slab.
4. Labor costs are minor.
1. While going to make design for reinforcement, the designers have to face problems at the beginning.
2. When casting is started, the work of concrete should be performed seriously.
3. The top-bar of the negative area, should be set up perfectly.