Definition of Punching Shear & reasons for failure of Punching Shear
This construction video is based on a Final Year Project in 4th Year Civil Engineering at the University of Limerick and it is made by Pádraig Sweeney. The video briefly explains fundamental principles of punching shear.
The video mainly focuses on the following topics :-
• Definition of Punching Shear
• Evaluate the Punching Shear Resistance concerning an element
• Steps to Increase Punching Shear Resistance
Punching shear stands for a type of failure of reinforced concrete slabs that happens owning to extreme localized forces. In flat slab structures It happens at column support points. The failure occurs because of shear.
Perfect assumption of punching shear strength is a vital factor and very much essential for engineers to design a structure securely.
Punching Shear Design - The following design guidelines should be maintained for punching shear:
1. Verify whether the concrete is powerful enough solely;
2. If not, examine carefully if the amount of reinforcement is rational;
3. Verify, if the design reinforcement is sensible, if not, rectify form of structure.