Benefits and usages of Pre-Engineered Buildings (PEB)
Pre-engineered buildings are generally developed in factories. Main components of these building are steel which are transported to site and bolted together. PEB (Pre-engineered Building) makes a sea change in the construction market as it applied built up sections instead of traditional hot rolled sections. An extended column free area is necessary for any type of industry that is built with PEB. PEB concept consists of the pre designed and prefabricated steel building systems. PEB stands for pre engineering of structural elements. The objective of PEB is to arrange the section at the identified location only as per the requirement of that spot. As per bending moment diagram, the sections will vary along the length. As there is smallest section, steel is saved as well as cost is reduced significantly.
Different systems of PEB – Pre-Engineered Buildings:
Primary system: This system encompasses tapered or parallel columns or tapered beams known as rafters. On the basis of the necessity of the load, column is both fixed or pinned.
Secondary system: It contains side claddings and eave struts like purlins, grits which are hardened with sag rods. This system also contains the flange stiffeners to connect the untied flanges of the PEB primary system to the secondary system.
Wind bracing system: Rod bracing and the portal system belong to the two types of wind bracing systems. Each one is selected consequently on the basis of the design and functional requirement.
Accessories: This part contains the Turbo ventilator, ridge vents, Flashings, gutters, down pipes, ladders etc.
Benefits of PEB – Pre-Engineered Buildings:
• Construction time: The construction cost is decreased upto 40% that results in quick occupancy and initial revenue.
• Lower cost: Huge cost saving is gained in design, manufacturing and erection cost.
• Large clear span: In PEB, there are up to 90m clear spans for building and it is the vital benefit of PEB with column free space.
• Flexibility of expansion: PEB can be extended in length smoothly with the inclusion of supplementary bays.
• Quality control: PEB’s are manufactured under controlled conditions on the basis of the site to maintain the optimal quality.
• Low maintenance: PEB contains superior quality paint systems for cladding to ensure long stability and miserable maintenance costs.
Usages of Pre-Engineered Buildings - PEB are extensively used in the following sectors:
• Factories, Warehouses, Workshops, Offices
• Gas stations
• Aircraft hangers
• Metro stations
• Vehicle parking sheds
• Schools, Indoor stadium roofs
• Bridges, Railway platform shelters
Outdoor stadium canopies
PEB are mostly recommended for construction owing to speed of construction and easy erection capacity.